of Home Improvements
Keep your home from being an easy target!
Protect your home by discouraging intruders from making it their next target. Burglars are less likely to victimize a house that looks occupied or protected by a security system.
When you're on vacation or away from home:
Put lights, stereo or TV on a timer to give the appearance that someone is home.
Secure sliding glass doors with pins to prevent both horizontal and vertical movement.
Don't stop your mail or newspaper deliveries; it signals you're away. Instead, have a neighbor pick up your deliveries.
Ask a neighbor to park their car in your driveway to give your home the appearance that someone is there.
Tell trusted neighbors you will be away for certain days.
If you have an alarm system, use it!
Make sure all doors and windows are locked and leave a key with a trusted neighbor.
safe at home
Look through your peephole viewer to see who's there before opening the door.
Always request identification from salespeople or repairmen before you let them in your home.
List only your first initial and last name in the phone book.
Fix broken locks or windows and install deadbolts on doors leading outside.
Replace all locks immediately after moving into a new home.
Keep your valuables safe, store high-value items such as jewelry, furs and firearms in a safe. Do not leave valuables out in plain sight.
Keep important papers, valuable jewelry and large amounts of cash in a safe deposit box.
Engrave your valuables with your driver's license or social security number.
Keep gift-wrapped packages hidden from outside view.
When you purchase new electronic equipment, do not "advertise it". Break down cartons before discarding.
1. Installing a quality lockset not only adds to your home's beauty, it also sends a message to would be intruders.
2. A good deadbolt can give your home an added measure of security. Deadbolts are an inexpensive and effective way of adding security to exterior doors, and make a great supplements to standard locksets.
3. Adding a peephole allows you to see who's knocking before you open the door.
4. To make your sliding patio doors more secure, cut a piece of closet rod to fit in the track behind the sliding door and adjust the track clearance so the doors can't be removed from their frame.
5. Install keyed sash locks on your windows to make them more secure. If you like to let in fresh air, look for locks that also have a vent locking position.
6. Low voltage lights are easy to install and provide an excellent, low-energy light source to highlight areas you don't want in shadow.
7. Motion detector lights add to your outdoor security. Lights with motion detectors are a convenient and efficient source for outdoor security lighting. Well positioned motion detectors make it virtually impossible for anyone to sneak up on your home.
8. Security cameras are great for keeping an eye on children playing in the yard and they allow you to see who's coming to the door from inside your home. Thieves usually look for easy access into potential targets. You can make your home much less attractive to them by taking a few simple steps to make your home more secure. Most of these security measures are easy tasks and only require a few simple tools. A little free time is a small investment for your peace of mind. Lowe's is happy to provide this information as a service to you.