Mounted Folding Attic Ladders Installation Instructions:
1. Installation requires two people
2. Do NOT open folding attic ladder until it is securely installed in
3. Check the ceiling height to make sure the ladder length is correct.
If the ladder is too short it will not work in your situation. Under no
circumstance is any folding attic ladder to be used when the ceiling-to-floor
measurement exceeds the maximum ceiling height as indicated for the Ceiling
Mounted Folding Attic Ladder you are installing.
4. This folding attic ladder comes completely assembled and is ready for
installation. Do not disassemble it to install.
5. The springs on this folding attic ladder are under tension. Use extreme
caution when adjusting, checking, or using this folding attic ladder.
Never try to adjust or remove the spring when the folding attic ladder
is in the open position.
6. Prior to installation, check all nuts, bolts, and screws for proper
tightness. Re-check these periodically after initial installation.
7. Make sure there is no wiring or piping that the saw or drill can come
in contact with during installation.
8. Opening or standing on the folding attic ladder's climbing sections
prior to properly fastening to ceiling joists could cause serious bodily
9. If the home has roof trusses, do not cut the ceiling joists without
consulting an engineer for approval.
10. Before installation, read all the instruction labels on the folding
Make a rough opening in the ceiling, and frame to size as shown.
2. If the folding attic ladder is wider than the spacing between ceiling
joists, you should consult a structural engineer before installing, since
cutting into a ceiling joist could weaken the structural integrity of
3. If you are cutting the ceiling joist, brace the area below the joist
to be cut with heavy timbers to prevent this area of the ceiling from
Install the metal E-Z hang straps or a couple of 2x4's across the opening
to the folding attic ladder prior to lifting folding attic ladder into
4. Position one person in the attic, and position one person in the room
5. The person in the room below will need to raise the folding attic ladder
into the rough opening and position the folding attic ladder's door flush
with the ceiling surface. The straps or 2x4's will make this easy.
6. When a stepladder is used, make sure that the user's weight and that
of the folding attic ladder plus any tools does not exceed the load capacity
of the stepladder. This is only for temporary support. DO
NOT STAND on the climbing sections of the folding attic ladder
7. CAREFULLY open the folding attic ladder door, but DO NOT unfold the
climbing sections. While standing on the stepladder, center and square
the folding attic ladder in the rough opening using shims.
8. Shim the frame of the ladder and nail each corner and down all 4 sides
of the frame. Use the shims to make sure that the frame is square.
9. Remove your straps or 2x4's. your ladder should be flush with your
Folding Attic Ladder to Length
1. Press down
on the climbing section to insure that the power arms are fully extended.
2. Fold the bottom section under the middle section.
With a straight edge, measure distances from joint to floor, for both
A & B lengths.
4. Then measure this length on the rails for a cutting line. Place a support
under the bottom section and trim to your measured cutting line on the
the length after making your cuts
Again, be sure the attic ladder power arms are fully extended.
2. Trimmed correctly, your attic ladder should look like Photo. No gaps
in the section and both feet flat on the floor should be the result.
1. Knot one
end of the pull cord. Slide opposite end of pull cord through bottom of
pendant pulling knot snugly into neck of pendant.
2. Slide unknotted end of pull cord through hole in door from outside
and then through the washer.
Knot end of pull cord, making sure that the knot is larger than the hole
in the washer.
Back to Topics Page